CV Boot

AaronB

Hi guys
Youve helped a lot in the past. I need to know how to replace a CV Boot on my 1994 Jeep GrandCherokee 5.2L. There is NOTHING in the Chilton's. I guess maybe it is as simple as disasemling it to the point of removing the boot then working back. Any pointers will help.
The boot is shredded, and while I drive, there are occasional jolts from that area of the car, it feels like I am hitting a real sharp pothole, but there aren't any on the road! particularly when I am accelerating after turning. Hopefully putting a new boot and lube in there will solve the prob. Thanks for any tips. PS-what exactly is the CV joint, is it the same ast the steering knuckle?
AaronB

I didn't know there was a CV boot on a '94 XJ :roll:

Steering knuckle and CV joint are different. The steering knuckle is on each end of your front axle, it's what the tierod is connected to. Your front driveshaft likely has a double cardan joint, which is often called a CV joint (incorrectly so).

I may be incorrect in the lingo. Is an XJ the same as a Grand Cherokee? I had a mechanic tell me the CV boot was bad, and when I inspected it myself, there is a conical rubber boot held on by a clam at either end. It is between the back of the wheel and I guess the outer end of the axle. My "boot" or whatever it is, is ripped apart.

I didn't know the ZJ used a CV shaft. Figured they were the same between XJ/ZJ/YJ.

Good link, I'd recommend you upgrade instead of replacing with stock parts. It's easy to replace the front axle shafts, we'll be here to help with any questions.
image-missing.png

OK, I am a little slow
:oops: The clunk wasn't in my cv axle, it was my transfer case, which is now totally shredded. I am trying to line up a new one. Mine is model NP249, with 272 gear ratio. There are also 8 numbers in the middle of the tag-serial I am assuming- 5209 7529. I want to make sure I am matching the correct new t-case to my vehicle, in doing that, do I need to worry about the 8 digit number, or just make sure the NP249 and 272 are the same? Thanks

ZJ with CV joints? i'm pretty sure its got U-joints at the wheels

Back