Grand Cherokee Advice

hi_c

Hey guys. I usually don't venture over to this side of the forums. I own a 1989 Wrangler, but am looking at a 1998 Grand Cherokee Laredo, 5.2L V8, 4wd, 88K miles, $7900.

What I need to know is what to look for. Is there anything inherently good/bad about this vehicle that I need to look at before going to check it out? Axles, transmission (4-speed automatic), t-case (which one is it?), brakes, interior, etc. Are there any known recalls? This would make a really nice family vehicle (wife is 8 months pregnant with our 1st child) and it would make a sweet tow vehicle for the Wrangler. :twisted: - ulterior motives!

So gimme your input. It's all welcomed, positive or negative. Post away.

Corey

unless you need the power, i'd look at the 4.0l I6... the 8 isnt all that great, and the 4.0 has plenty of power unless you tow heavy trailers or cars.... the GC is great if you ask me.. i love mine....

I would have to disagree with graewulf. I test drove both the 6 and the 8 before I bought my grand cherokee and I noticed a big difference in power. I was looking at an '01 6 cyl and a '99 4.7L V8. I just felt more comfortable driving the V8 the extra power was really nice. My recommendation would be to drive both.

Yeah, I know the 4.0 is a solid motor and proven, but I also have a 2500 lb boat & trailer. With 5 people in the vehicle (extra 1000 lbs.) and the boat + gear, I'd be more comfortable knowing I have the power to get up the bridges in town without power loss. Plus, it would add the option of flat-towing my wrangler to off-road expeditions. I know it would drink gas like a 19 yr-old freshman at his first frat mixer, but if I wanted a tree-hugger, I'd buy a honda!

So what is the model of transmission and t-cases that come in these things? Any known bugs or things to look for? Any specific years with electrical problems?

Corey

BUYIN LIFT TODAY!!!!

judge09 said:
I would have to disagree with graewulf. I test drove both the 6 and the 8 before I bought my grand cherokee and I noticed a big difference in power. I was looking at an '01 6 cyl and a '99 4.7L V8. I just felt more comfortable driving the V8 the extra power was really nice. My recommendation would be to drive both.

very true.. like i said, if you are towing and need the power, the v8 makes sense, but most people get the V8 who have no need for that much power. If he's towing a 2500lb trailer, i'd say get the V8 - especially if you do it often or long distance. I've towed cars behind a 4.0l V6 in my truck and it handled it but i wouldn't do it long distance. If you're like me and you don't tow heavy trailers, i'd rather save the gas and get the 4.0l

I would say get the 8 if you are going to tow. As far as gas mileage goes, I get better in my wifes 97 GC (w/ Kuhmo MT 30x9.5's)with the 5.2 than I do in my Wrangler (Goodyear Wrangler RT 31x10.5's) with the 2.5. I get 13 MPG in the Wrangler if I am lucky and around 16 in the GC on average.

osito129 said:
as gas mileage goes, I get better in my wifes 97 GC (w/ Kuhmo MT 30x9.5's)with the 5.2 than I do in my Wrangler ... I get 13 MPG in the Wrangler if I am lucky and around 16 in the GC on average.

I'd bet the aerodynamics have something to do with that. :mrgreen:

Although I must say I've been getting about 19.5 - 20 MPG in my TJ.

-Nick :!:

I see 17-18 with my GC on 30x9.5's with the 4.0l....

Back