strange whistling sound...

camojeep

Hey...

on certain days, when i'm driving my '88 jeep cherokee, it'll make a really strange whistling noise...other days its fine... we're thinking it may be a belt or something..but, i'm not sure.. i'm bringing it in for a tune up and service next week...but, i just thought i'd see if any of you might happen to know...

thanks!!

[addsig]

where is it coming from? does it happen when the car is sitting? when its moving? what speeds make it happen?

possible a vacuum leak, belt, etc...[addsig]

I had the same problem on my '88 cherokee
image-missing.png
. If it's coming from behind the dash, its most likely a vacuum leak from the A/C or 4 wheel drive vacuum lines. If it's a vacuum leak, the sound will be loudest when the car is at idle or coasting as there is more engine vacuum present. Hope this helps.[addsig]

<<<where is it coming from? does it happen when the car is sitting? when its moving? what speeds make it happen?>>>

It seems to be coming from the belts under the hood. It doesn't happen when the car is sitting...only when i'm driving...it doesnt seem to happen as much when i'm coasting...its mostly when i'm going at a steady speed...when i'm accelerating it seems to stop.

i'm bringing it in tomorrow for the service and everything, so i'll have them check all the belts and the vacuum wires, just in case...

thanks a bunch for all your help! if you have any more advice, please let me know.

[addsig]

It could be the belt. I was talking to a guy about his XJ and he sadi to took a daeler belt to finally quite his down. He tried two of the AutoZone type cheap ones, they did not help.[addsig]

Back