too much water

mailtruck

I just recently purchased a 89 Cherokee and was quick to find out that it does not do well at all in water. I have had it die on a few occasions when it only goes through small puddles which i would not think it would cut out on. I don't believe it to be the distibutor and think some of the wiring may be the cause. Any help on how to help waterproof it would be of great help

it definitely shouldnt stall goin through puddles, ive been through close to 3 feet with no stalling in my 00 xj. i would check the plug wires and distributor, they are cheap enough to replace.

After replacing your plug wires, distributer cap, and rotor, if it still does it, take every electrical plug/connection you can find and fill it with di-electric grease. Worked for a car that I had with the same trouble.

Take a look and see if the splash guard that goes around if front of the motor. If it is gone the distributor will get hit by water. Then check the seal on the distributor cap. I had the same probs with my 88 when I first got it.

already replaced the distibutor cap along with the plug wires. Still does the same thing when going through water. Then when i went to start it this morning it would not fire. I had driven it the day before and had not encountered any water at all and it had driven fine. Wondering if maybe it could be the crankshaft positon sensor. Also it has never had a splashguard since i have owned it.

Back