AX-5 Transmission What Years was it used?

Used in the 91-95 YJ 2.5 Liter 4 cylinder engine (I dont think it was used in the TJs). The AX-15 and I believe the NV3550 have the same bolt patterns, but input shafts will be different. But more importantly that AX-5 most likely will not hold up behind 6 cylinder power, depending on the type of wheeling you do and how much power that 6 puts out.

The AX15 and NV3550 do not have the same bellhousing bolt patterns as the AX5.

The AX5 was used in 4banger TJ's, until it was replaced with the NV1550 or similar.

The AX15 will bolt up to a 4banger if you use a bellhousing from a 2.5L Dakota, as the 4banger dakota mated the AX15 up to the 2.5L engine.

That's an impressive wish list, but I wouldn't take it as gospel for what works and what doesn't. The 2.5L uses a common GM bellhousing bolt pattern (to my knowledge), but I wouldn't use it behind anything that makes more power than the 2.5L engine. It's just not rated to handle that much torque, especially from a 3.8L engine.

You wanting to use a 3800, or what exactly is your intentions?

RE: boston , buried

I am wanting to install a 1988 Vin "C" front wheel drive engine into a Jeep Cherokee. I know these engines well and have access to lots of peices plus the junkyards are over run with them (easy to find replacment parts).
My first choice would be to install the "C" 3800 engine with a JEEP automatic transmission to the Jeep Transfer case.

Second choice would be to install the 3800 with a 700R4 GM automatic transmission.

I am gonna use the 1988 "C" PCM (dime a dozen, plus I understand them fairly well)) to control the engine.

The only PCM input I will need to worry about is the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) in the original transmission behind the C 3800, I am thinking it has either 2000 or 4000 pulses per mile.

Some questions I have.
1. Does anybody know of a company that makes an adapter for the 3800 to a Jeep Automatic transmission??

What year did Jeep (if any) start including a VSS in their transmissions and how many pulses per mile are they?

3. What year did jeep start using an electric fuel pump in their Cherokee's?? How many pounds of pressure did they make??

Anybody with any tips and cheap effective ways the above might be accomplished please chime in.

Thanks

Re: RE: Jeep vs. Hummer.

Hi,

newjeep said:
2.What year did Jeep (if any) start including a VSS in their transmissions and how many pulses per mile are they?

3. What year did jeep start using an electric fuel pump in their Cherokee's?? How many pounds of pressure did they make??

2. Probably not until 1994 or so. Infact, they might not have had a VSS until OBD-II systems were implemented in 1996.

3. I don't know about the 4-cyl or the old V6 engines, but all Cherokees with the fuel injected inline 6 engine have electric fuel pumps. The first year for the FI inline 6 was 1988 if I recall correctly...

-Nick :!:

Back