1998 Cherokee 2.5 td loses power/acceleration

pants

RE: Arrrrgh!

Can anyone help please, we have a 98 2.5td which loses power at any time - i.e it starts up and then no revs = no movement when accelerator is depressed or en route there will be a slight jolt and the power goes either that or you can be idling at traffic lights and it revs up to 2000 on its own for a few secs then drops back down, but it is a sure sign that it will lose power soon afterwards . It will roll along in this state at about 900 revs. Each time so far! we stop turn it off, restart and all normal for anything from a few seconds to a few hours until it happens again. It is happening more frequently and when it does it on a roundabout is not fun. Anybody come across this before, have had it in a Chrysler garage but they hadn't a clue.

Welcome to Jeepz. Sorry I can't help, I know nothing about the diesel, other than I'd love to have one in my YJ.

I don't know much about a diesel either, but it sounds like a problem we have had with our 99 GMC boxvan since it was new. We have replaced the injector pump(s?) 4 times because of the same symptoms you are having. It took the dealership about two weeks to get it straight the first time it happened, and they still can't tell us why they go out so much.

Back