cherokee console removal

mujaman

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: I shimmie

just wondering if anybody knows how to get a 1997 cherokee center console out. i've loosened every bolt i can find connecting it to the chassis... but its still attached somehow and i can't see where. i'm considering herculining my interior if i can get all my old carpet out... but i have to get that console out if i even want to consider it. thanks for any help-

Re: clutch?

if you've pulled every visible bolt/screw chances are you just gotta pull now. the screws are in there to secure the console, but most are held in by plastic tabs as well. so if you're sure you got all the screws, you probably just have to pull now, carefully though, as to not snap anything ;)

the console splits into 2 pieces (on my 94 xj anyways...), one includes the armrest and box below it, the other is the black thing that has the little tassles that the e-brake goes up and down in. make sure you take out the latter first and there are more screws below it holding the rest in. don't forget to pop out the 4wd indicator (no screws, just pops in and out) and there are more hidden below that as well.

RE: FOLLOW UP: Rust Removal DONE! (Pics/Story inside)

ON my '00, there are only a couple screws holding it down... Pop off the shifter bezel (the part with the slider and numbers), it will just pop upward and off, same goes for the one for the 4X4 shifter... There are screws under there holding down the front of the console... You have to remove the inside of the console next, disconnect the screws from the bottom of it, and disconnect the screws on top of it, including the ones that hold the hinge down... Those are the only screws, on mine anyway, holding it down, I want to say 1 under the trans selector, 1 under the 4X4 selector, 2 on the bottom of the storage box, and 4 on the top, it should lift right out of there :)

Re: newbie also

Oh yeah, and for the handle for the trans, it just pulls off, give it a good jerk straight upward, and the top part of the handle with the button comes right off, it's like a friction collar that holds it on...

Unless, of course, you're driving a stick, in which case, I don't know where the front screw points would be...

I DO know that the console is of an entirely different design, with different screw positions than a pre '97... Like I said, I took mine out for some wiring work, these were the only screw locations that I needed to undo.

RE: Why can

thanks for the help... mine ended up coming off about like saurian's 2000. after a little more consideration... i decided not to rip out all my carpet and herculine the interior. there was a good bit more insulation under there than i expected, so i figure if i took it out it would get noiser inside... which i definitely do not want. oh well though, atleast i know how to take my jeep apart on the inside now. all my seats are completely out, as well as the console and all the plastic lining around the bottom of the doors. haha... looks pretty funny inside right now. it was real interesting trying to back it out of my driveway while sitting on the floor :D

Back