Can't get out of Part-Time 4WD!?!?!

90Wagoneer

The damn 4WD lever in my 90 Wagoneer moves in and out of slots but I can't get it back into 2WD. It is getting annoying. I basically can only select PT 4WD, 4WD LO and N.

Any advice?

Also, what is the fastest I can drive with PT 4WD (60?) and should I be shifting 4WD lever in Neutral or Park?

Thanks in advance.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

I´ve had mine stick in 4 wheel drive on occasion, usually a few rocks from drive to reverse helped the accuator on the right front axle to dis-engauge. The shift lever got sticky on occasion, a few shifts from drive to reverse and a hefty shove always worked for me. Did have a vacumn leak that wouldn´t let me shift into 4 wheel drive for awhile, a look at the shift motor houseing on the right front axle, to make sure the vacumn lines are connected might be usefull.[addsig]

i've found that going from park/neutral/drive as well as driving in varying circles (left and right) helps out too... doesn't part time lock the front and rear axle into moving at the same rate? that's why it skips when you're turning on concrete? anyway, my theory is: if you drive in circles, it'll jossle around the whatnot and kick it into 2wd...[addsig]

Mine stuck when I first got the Jeep, it ended up that a few weeks later I got a recall notice on the transfer case linkage, I don't have the letter anymore so I'm not sure what models it included but you might want to check into that![addsig]

Back