249/242 swap

Snitty

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: mandatory reading

I started a 249 to 242 swap today. I guess I didn't look into things enough and was unaware that you must completely disassemble both transfercases to properly do the swap. I should finish tomorrow. I should get my cam out and take some pics. I'm havin a good time with it. I'm eager to get it done and see how it all comes out.

RE: Transmission swap question

i did a 249 - 231 swap. let me know if you run into issues. taking the whole thing apart just to get to the input and planetaries up front is fun eh?

I didn't realize what I was getting into... I'm quite upset right now. NOWHERE in ANY writeup that I read did it say that I'd have to have the driveshaft shortened. The jeep owner got a 242 without a tailcone. I just spent two evenings on the thing, got it all together and now i'm having problems. The chain was a little messed up, I figured it would have some problems soon, but I didn't think THIS soon. I'm not makin much money of this job either. He got the case from a junkyard, I'm thinkin of just having him bring it back.. but that would have to be AFTER I put the original shaft back in. I'm wondering now how much would actually spline in if I used the stock input shaft rather than the long shaft.

RE: Re: RE: I finally found the Video

This thing has got me all messed up. I have to take time off from work now so I can get this guy's vehicle back to him. I think the 242 was no good. The chain was a little chewed up and there was black grime all over in there.. and LOTS of flakes on the magnet... For him to return it, I'll have to swap the input shaft back out so I have it for the next one... GRR x 100

4.0 Surging

I helped Snitty with this and let me tell you what a nightmare it is when you go through all that for nothing. After some trial and error I think we have it down to a science now, LOL... If anyone else is going to attempt this the key is to get the older style 242 with the tail cone and extension, not the one with the longer looking rear output shaft and rubber boot style that is on newer xj's and zj's.
It is at least an inch longer and therefore will require shortening the rear driveshaft. This way the 242 should be a direct replacement with changing the input for the V8 engine. You can then change the shifter and bezel to have the correct look inside. Also on the back of the VIC there are some wire clips you can change to make the info center read correctly for the 242, such as part-time/full-time.

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Audio question...

Tomorrow comes more "practice" on digging into transfer cases. I had to swap the inputs back out. Anymore, its not even a big deal. I did learn that you get what you pay for when it comes to snap ring pliers

RE: Ideas for trailering a CJ7--sealed bearing in T-case?

True about splitring pliers.

I've found that it's easiest to trial fit things before adding the squeeze-out between the case halves, makes any later needed dissassembly easier. I did this when troubleshooting a TC problem.

Hang in there, isn't working on jeeps fun? ;)

it is fun... but its digging away from work days I could be making money. I also dry fit things to make sure things will work right

RE: I

I finally got the RIGHT version of the 242 and got the swap done. Nowhere on any writeup did I see that there are TWO different 249 input shafts. One requires a thin bearing and one require a thick bearing. I had to take the input bearing from the 249 to replace into the 242. The other 242 I used accepted the shaft just fine.

We are still experiencing one problem. This is a problem that I heard about from some forum somewhere. There is a grind when taking the Tcase out of neutral. It goes into neutral just fine, either from 4hi or 4lo... But whenever leaving neutral, it grinds until the vehicle is shut off. It doesn't do this when it is on the 6 cyl, but does it behind the 8 cyl transmission. Does anyone know if this is common? or something that we just have to live with? I learned a lot in this

I took pictures of the entire process of swapping out the input shafts. I'll be making an illustrated write-up soon

clicking/popping front end

thats good. most of the write ups i found online were pretty much junk too. each would help here and there, but nothing very detailed. good thing i am mechanically inclined or i would have given up.

RE: Motercraft 2100 puff black smoke when hit the gas hard

Oh man... this thing has become a nightmare. now I'm getting a whirring matallic rubbing noise all the time. I'm about ready to burn this thing and take a dump on the ashes

RE: 4X4 Controller?

Anyone know if there are different sincros in transmissions on the V8 compaired to the I6?

RE: CJ7 trac bar fab

Update..

I did the conversion once again, on another grand cherokee. SAME NOISE.

I think I have figured it out.... when changing the input gear, I left it inside its planetary set. After about 10 years of being driven, each gear set has worn to its own shape. From ALL I can figure out, this whirring noise that I am getting MUST be the planetary gears meshing incorrectly against the ring gear that was worn to another set of planetaries.

My two possible solutions could be:
- put the 242 planetary set back inside its own ring gear. but this still does not solve the sun/planetary meshing problem. Though I believe this is the easiest way, and has proven successful in a number of writeups

-put the 249 ring gear in the 242 case. this would complete the entire planetary set from the 249. This way I know all of the gears meshing together would be from the same set, worn the same through the past 10 years. This would be a lot tougher due to the way the ring gear is pressed into the case

when I get pictues, the write-up will come soon

RE: CJ7 trac bar fab

The 231 input gear has both early and late model gear cut styles, maybe the same applies to the 242 and 249? Could this be causing your problem?

Here is an IDIOT..... or was it the buyer

Finished today... BINGO... figured out and fixed the problem

I did some measuring and the input side (front half) of the 242 and the 249 are casted the same. So we used the front half of the 249 (to use the ring gear). This way all 249 parts sinc with each other. Just had to change out the sprocket and shift lever and stuff that would be on the 242. Put it all together and my Jeep GC V8 is now selec-trac!!!

Brake hoses on the way

The 242 and 249 front case halves even had the same casting number.

We used this because we didnt' have the means of pulling the ring gear out of the case. We wanted to use the 249 ring gear so that entire planetary set was all from the same case. This eliminated any meshing problems.

As soon as the pics are uploaded by 95blkzj I will be making a very detailed write-up

Back