Electric cooling fan

MudderChuck

The wife parked her 87 on the roof and we recently bought a 96. Question is, the cooling fan seems to come on often, usually when making many short drives and stops. It seems to come on at every stop light. Should I be looking for a problem or does this seem normal for this year (model run). Next question is, that it has an ABS system that´s new to me, with an electric motor on the left front fender well (that makes a racket when it kicks in), anybody seen any publications or articles for this system? About the time you learn one Jeep, they change it all. XJ,96, 4-L, limited with most all the bells and whistles.[addsig]

Sounds normal to me. The ABS system will make noise when it is activated, but usually only in panic stop situations. [addsig]

yeah everything sounds normal to me. keep an eye on your brake fluid level... [addsig]

Checked the brake fluid yesterday, it´s OK, it´s sometimes easy to overlook the obvious. I noticed the ABS usually makes a racket at the same intersection (frequented by large trucks) that has some waves in the pavement and is slick with tar. Guess I just have to get used to a new vehicle and the noises and such. I guess the fan is just the nature of the beast, doesn´t seem to be over heating, it just seems to come on alot more often than the old 87 did. A recommendation for a good manual, would be appreciated, I couldn´t find a Chiltons at Amazon and I´m not a big fan of Haynes (a little too general). A site where I could order the Jeep shop manuals would be nice, if anybody has that info. I´m probably going to need a detailed electrical diagram sooner or later, this one has alot more gizmos than I´m used to. Thanx [addsig]

The bumpy roads make the wheel speed sensors pick up a different speed from each, causing the ABS computer to kick. Nothing to worry about. As far as the shop manual, have you tried Mitchell or ALLDATA??? They put out some good stuff. Or even th dealer could get you a shop manual.[addsig]

The fan on my 97 does that all the time too...more when the A/C is on. Gets pretty annoying because it is so damn loud. I have been keeping my ears open to other XJs in parking lots and what not and I almost always hear a fan running. With the ABS thing, my 97 Camry does that at bumpy intersections too...normal I guess. [addsig]

Some times feel like I´m suffering from terminal dumb. The heater has a setting for defrosting the windows, that uses the air-conditioning for a heat pump. Was driving around for a week that way, wondered why I was getting such poor mileage and the electric fan coming on all the time. What will they think of next. I´ve now vowed to read the destructions for the new Jeep completly. Fan is noisey, I think I´ll try a little bathtube silicon at the mounting points, maybe it will quiet it down some.[addsig]

the fan comes on alot because the engine probably has a 195 theomostat in it. and the fan is set to come on at 200 degrees. drop down to a cooler thermostat (depending on where in the world you live cause it will effect your cabin heat) and the fan wont come on so much. The newer motors have to run hotter to meet emissions standards. But a little drop wont hurt you too much. Also check your temp sensor for the computer (not guage) it may be a little out of whack.[addsig]

Where I´m at it gets so darn cold, a major fire in the back seat would be welcome (don´t think I´ll have any major cooling problems till spring). I was thinking some of the same things, dropping the thermostat maybe 5 deg., I´ve had trouble before getting through emission testing with anything lower (runs a little rich). A mechanic friend (older than me with more experieince) swears a lower thermostat or a faulty thermo. switch will cause premature failure of the cat. (expensive). I´m going to do a major look see in the spring, and might swap out the fan control switch with something a little higher (if available). Noticed the shroud on the mechanical fan is missing, might be part of the problem, also noticed the mechanical fan looks a little smaller than the one in my old 87 (have to measure to be sure). Sometime this week I´m going to take a power washer and blow out the radiator from the inside out, just to see what comes out of there. Engine needs a good cleaning anyway. Thanx for the imput.[addsig]

Careful with that power washer, you can do some serious damage. For Radiator flush it seems worth it to pay the local station the 50 bucks. that way you stay clean,you dont have to deal with carting the used antifreeze to the recycle center, and you dont put excessive pressure through the fragile thin core radiator. The flushing machines these days do a remarkable job of freeing up any crud that may have found its way to clog your radiator. I know I just got 10 inches of snow on my house and would not want to be out playing with antifreeze in this weather.

Just a thought[addsig]

Back