85 XJ towing

vfrf2

Someone just recently gave me an 85 XJ Cherokee and I am thinking about keeping it as a tow vehicle for a boat. It has the 2.8 L V6, automatic transmission, 4wd and has a 3:73 diff. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what kind of weights they have towed with a similiar XJ successfully without putting too much of a strain on it?

I have seen other folks note that they have towed up to 4000lbs with this same Jeep, but I seem to think that this is way too much. Am I wrong?

I've also considered throwing a mild lift and 31 inch tires on it, I am sure this would pull the towing capacity down as well due to the fact that the larger tires would work it harder??

Thanks!

[addsig]

a lift will help towing as the rear end won't sag when you have the weight of the trailer on it... larger tires will hurt a LITTLE, but 31's are still pretty small considering... once you run tires like 35" you have to re-gear.[addsig]

total trailer weight should not exceed 2800 pounds (for an oem fixed hich) if you added a class 3 (the 2" box reciever) I would not go over 3200. I currently have an 89 XJ LTD with 3.55 gears, auto, 4.0, and a class 3 reciever. I tow a Tandem axle boat trailer with a gross weight if 5000 pounds. But that is with a weight distributing hitch, biggest transmission cooler i could fit behind the grill, power steering cooler stolen from a dodge ram, and the factory heavy duty cooling package.Also had to put in add-a -leafs to even it out. I still think it is too much weight, but the owners manuel says I am ok with that. And luckily the boat ramp is only 3 miles away! If it was any further I would still be using my OLD Faithful (1984 dodge ramcharger 318 2bbl 140K miles an it just will not die)[addsig]

Back