Junk Yard Turbo?

CherokeeGuy42

Ok I'm thinking of doing a turbo for my 01 XJ 4.0 Sport. I've been kinda looking around and seeing if anything is out there but the only thing that comes up is a turbo for the Liberty (which apparently people call a Cherokee now). My brother says to get one off a 90's Eclipse or something like that. Any Ideas? I've looked into superchargers also, but their too expensive and the rootstyle stick out of the hood too much. I want something that I can hide and just kinda mess with these wanna be ricers. Any help or ideas would be appreciated. Also pictures wouldn't hurt one bit. Thanks.

i think it'd be easier to run a supercharger, but whatver floats your boat...

unless you're gonna modify/strengthen the INTERNALS of your engine, stay away from anything over 7 psi or so... i'm a former honda-guy myself so i can "talk the talk" when it comes to turbo's. most guys were using turbo's out of Volvo's kuz they have an internal wastegate. where do you plan on putting all this piping? i also know radiator hose can handle 7psi, if you wanna do it super-ghetto style. you'll need a custom downpipe obviously, and will probably end up mounting the turbo down below the engine around the transfer case. are you still gonna take this thing offroad? the engine bay is pretty cluttered on that side, with both manifolds stacked on top of eachother like that...

reason i say the supercharger is the easier alternative (if you're willing to give up your AC) is kuz you can remove your AC compressor and fabricate some brackets and whatnot, and power the thing right off your serpentine belt.

One of the mags recently installed a turbo in a 4.0L jeep (I think it was an XJ). I'll see if I can find the article.

You good at fabricating exhaust, brackets, and the oiler to the turbo?

14B from a 1G DSM is a good turbo. ALOT of people use this turbo for alot of different apps.

Invest in a quality nitrous setup. Don't even go down the custom turbo road unless you have a good amount of experience with it or you know someone willing to work with you who does. You can hop up the NA 4.0 enough to stomp on most of the front drive ricers.

Also, there is a performance forum on this site.

Last edited:
Back