97 cherokee computer code: 45

mkvolcom

I just changed out my water pump on my 97 cherokee. After, my check engine light came on, so I checked the odometer with the on off trick, and its flashin the code 45. Now I have the Haynes Manual, but its got about 5 different listing for the same code. Anybody had any experience with this code. I think it might be the throttle position sensor, or the oxygen sensor. I refuse to pay 100 dollars to have some dude at the dealership hook up his stupid computer for 2 minutes and tell me whats wrong, waste of cash.

[addsig]

using that same haynes manual, get a voltmeter and check the sensors you mentioned... you can check stuff like resistence and voltage to find ou which one is buggin' out...[addsig]

Couldn't find much on a 45 trouble code, only:

-Overboost shut-off circuit on MAP sensor reading above overboost limit detected; overdrive solenoid (A-500 or A-518 automatic transmission)

-Trans temperature/ Governor pressure voltage out of range. Less than 1.55 or above 3.73volts for temperature and less than .1 or above 4.89 volts. Trans temp. to high or low. OD switch input too low for more than 5 mins.

Hopefully you can make more sense out of this than me.[addsig]

I could be wrong, but code 45 mostly has to do with too rich. Check the temp. switch (not the temp sensor for the gauge) in your cooling system. Sometimes conflicting values will give a false or misleading code. Try removing your battery cable (and let sit for awhile) then reconnecting. And see if the code returns. If you turn on the ignition, with a wire unhooked and then reconnect the wire, often the trouble code will stay until it´s re-zeroed. Lots of times the computer at the shop is wrong or misleading (they change alot of unnessary parts), the sensors sometimes send conflicting signals and the computer will settle on the wrong sensor. I often think the computer works like a vending machine, as soon as you´ve put enough money in it, it gives you a bill instead of a soda.

Is the 45 code the only one you are getting? The engine to cold code (17?) maybe.

I´m stubborn also, I´ve havn´t had a Jeep in the shop for 30 years more than a few times, and two of those times they fixed the wrong thing and usually charged me alot $ for the privelege. Took one in for a recall (seat belt)and the dude tried to charge the wife $400. Even if I´m unable to fix it, I´m going to have an idea of whats wrong, before I go in. Besides, some day I´m going to break down 20 miles from no-where (been there done that), and it´s nice to have an idea where to start looking for the problem before I start walking out.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Back