XJ Axle Swap

85zebracherokee

What does everybody think about the ford 8.8 axle swap for a cherokee.
And does anyone know where any articles are on the swap?
I know that 95 and up explorers have disc brakes but thats about it.

85zebracherokee said:
What does everybody think about the ford 8.8 axle swap for a cherokee.
That's a good choice, look for one with the limited slip if you don't plan on adding a locker. Some came with 4.10 gears so, you may want to look for one of those if you want, then you'd only have to regear the front axle ;)

I was thinking about a locker. and a set of 4.10's would help out a ton.Right now I have a 93 cherokee 4.0 5-speed with 3.07's which is great on fuel economy but once I get a lift and bigger tires that will really suck, as I found out on a 90 cherokee that I had.

Man i want a Ford 8.8 for my 89 YJ! What gearing does my wrangler have? I would not like to regear and upgrade to a ford 8.8 at the same time. Ive read that some 8.8s have the same gear ratio that the wrangler has, allowing u to skip the regear process.( I know its not the YJ forum but it was relevant to current post:)

Last edited:
Why dont you try finding a Ford 9" they are stonger and easier to work on, but harder to find in some cases. My cherokee has one in the back and i have 2 spares sitting at my buddys just incase it wants to break which i doubt will happen i have a heavy right foot but i need it with a 4.0.

It's a good swap if you have a Dana 35. Not really worth the investment if you have a corporate 8.25.

Of course if you find one with 4.11s and discs it would be a pretty nice swap. It will probably cost more than regearing your Corporate axle, but you will have disc brakes.

Another good swap is a factory Dana 44 if you can find one, they usually have 3.75 gears .

I do have the 8.25, but parts are too expensive for them. And I really would like the disc brakes. Plus if the axle breaks the 8.8 seems to be alot easier to find than the 8.25.

Jeepr said:
It's a good swap if you have a Dana 35. Not really worth the investment if you have a corporate 8.25.
I disagree, it's worth it regardless of having an 8.25 rear. The 27spline 8.25 isn't much stronger than a D35 and the later 29spline 8.25 is only marginally stronger than the D35. Jumping up to the 8.8 is a great upgrade in terms of strength, disc brakes, and the OEM availabilty of limited slips and gearing down to 4.10.

You do understand a 44 is 30 spline right, the later 8.25 isn't marginally stronger than a 35. It is stronger, period.

Chapes1010 said:
Why dont you try finding a Ford 9" they are stonger and easier to work on, but harder to find in some cases. My cherokee has one in the back and i have 2 spares sitting at my buddys just incase it wants to break which i doubt will happen i have a heavy right foot but i need it with a 4.0.

Please find me a ford 9 that is close to stock width for a XJ/YJ/TJ, has a 5x4.5 pattern, and isn't in crap shape.

Somebody else had a wonderful tech article full of pics of a 94 XJ axle swap to an 8.8. It covered everything even how to measure to re-weld the shock mounts and spring perches.. I can't find that on the web now..:evil: :evil: :evil:

currupt4130 said:
Please find me a ford 9 that is close to stock width for a XJ/YJ/TJ, has a 5x4.5 pattern, and isn't in crap shape.

ones out of shoebox broncos are almost perfect but you need wheel spacers, and yeah you probably cant find any with 5X4.5 i guess im used to it i have both ford axles in mine a 9"and a dana 44 so i dont have to worry about the 5x4.5 situation mines bot 5x5.5 front and rear

currupt4130 said:

ones out of shoebox broncos are almost perfect but you need wheel spacers, and yeah you probably cant find any with 5X4.5 i guess im used to it i have both ford axles in mine a 9"and a dana 44 so i dont have to worry about the 5x4.5 situation mines bot 5x5.5 front and rear

Back