Grumbling noise in rear.

Crewdude007

I have an '01 XJ with ~56K that has recently (as far as I can tell) developed a grumbling noise in the rear diff. I haven't popped the cover yet to check it out, but a mechanic friend of mine listened to it while it was jacked up. He couldn't point to the problem, but did say it sounded like it was coming from both sides of the diff. My first thought is bad bearings. Assuming it's not something worse, how much trouble is it to replace these? Is there anything else I should look for while I'm in there?

Last edited:
With my Jeep it's usually the wife, and something to the tune of "don't even think about driving over that with me in here"

You've gotta love it in the middle of an obstacle when they start yelling "let me out! let me out!" :lol: does wonders for the concentration

OutOfStep said:
You've gotta love it in the middle of an obstacle when they start yelling "let me out! let me out!" :lol: does wonders for the concentration

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Soooooo true!!!!:lol: :lol: :l

My guess would be bad bearings or bad spider gears. The spiders are very easy to replace, the bearings are a little more involved and require a press.

Could be ring and pinion gears as well...but if it's definatly coming from off to the sides then my bet would be on the bearings.

Back