rear speakers on a 96 cherokee sport

ronpapworth

How do I get the speaker/light housing off the inside roof to replace the speakers? The grills come off, but the factory speakers appear to be pop rivited in with plastic fasteners. I could musle them out of there but I am not sure how to affix the new speakers without getting to the back of the console that they rest in. So I think it HAS to come out to work on it. Just yank real hard or do I remove the trim from the left and right upper side of the car and have it drop down?

Also, they are 5.25" speakers in there now, will 6" fit on there?[addsig]

Well I got it done this weekend. Man what a pain.

First off, the dome light housing in the middle of the speaker is POP RIVETED! into a plate that is glued to the roof. So you have to break your car to get the whole unit down. You can cut the pop rivets(one is longer than the other) or just give it a good tug and it will come loose. This is after you have 1. loosened the upper side trim(both sides, 2 screws), 2. removed the top inside trim(4 screws, pay attention to which side the front is) and the two downward trim pieces(3 screws).

The assembly will slide out the back of the car.

The factory speakers are 5 1/4" round and all of those were more expensive than the good old 6 1/2" round. So I grabbed some 6 1/2's at Best Buy and proceeded to cut a little out of each circle in the trim with some tin snips. They fit pretty well for it being a small recess for the old speakers. The 6 1/2 speaker grills go right to the edge of the recess. Hooked the speakers up and had to get it back together.

If I had some good glue and the right length 2X4 I would have put some glue on the plate that is now unattached from the inside roof, propped the 2X4 in there and let it dry for a day, but I didn't so some old "Kentucky Chrome"(yes, duct tape) helped out and seems to be holding well. We will see what happenes the first time the rear dome light is left on all night and heats the tape up. I may have to go back in if it sags.

Before taping it up I took some small, thin, long stove bolts and dropped them down through the plate. They were like 2" long maybe 1 1/2". I slide the assembly with the new speakers back up there, let the two bolts drop through the holes that used to be pop riveted and twisted two nuts on the end of each of them. Push up on the assembly until the nuts are nice and tight. Put the downward side pieces back on(I started at the bottom and really had to force it around the hatch shocks), the upper center piece, playing attention to how it came out, and finally tighten down the upper side pieces again.

Voila.

Geez, no wonder no one answered this post!

If I go back in there I will take some pictures and do a write up if anyone is interested.[addsig]

wow sounds like a project! glad it worked out... did you have any problems with depth of the larger speakers?[addsig]

nah, the recess in there is pretty deap at the angle they set the speakers at. I had at least another inch of room!

Ron[addsig]

Back