newbie ?s

lippy

Well Im new to this jeep stuff so all the help is much appreciated!!!!!
I went out and got a 98 grand 4.0 with select drive. brought it home put in garage just got 4.5" lift on her. AWSOME LOOKING still looking for the right size tires to suit my needs any ideas???
When I put it in 4wd part time it takes a little time for it to go in to 4wd. than once its in 4wd it takes some playing to get it out. any ideas??????
looking to have some fun with it. bought it for a play toy not daily driver but want to be able to drive when ever I want. any comments or thoughts to help this be alot of fun well taking.

thanks
lippy
98 grand 4.0 ,4.5 lift ,rest stock

what's the gear ratio in the axles?

got pics?

I'm thinking 32" or maybe even 33" tires should do it but your gearing could dictate differently.

3.55 I was kind of thinking of a 31/12.5/15 very agressive tire not to much for the gearing.
thanks
lippy

pics soon

Last edited:
i have bridgestone dualers a/t's on my 99 wrangler and its quite a step up from the stock i dont have a problem in mud and it looks great

32's would be the biggest I would go with 3.55 gearing. That's the setup I had on my Cherokee and it was fine. It did real well on the highway too. You should be able to clear them too.

well I got some bf good all terrain 31/10.5/15 for now. usedso for the time being I will use them until I scrape up some cash for the ones I want. still having the problem with the 4wd. trying to work it in and out to see if I can loosen it up. I bought it from original owner. and he said he only had it in 4wd 3 times in 250000 miles. any ideas???????

thanks
lippy
98 grand 4.5 lift iron rock lift.

I think the grand uses the vacuum acctuated 4wd, (my YJ and XJ both do) I would make sure all the vacuum lines are in good condition for starters. Then check to make sure your vacuum cannister is holding. Or you could get a mechanical replacement kit for about $200. By the way, Welcome to Jeepz!

no vac. line to front axel. unless they put it somewhere else. where do they run the lines for 4WD????

well I just got in from allining front end. after playing with 4wd it seems to be working right. goes in after a few seconds but you have to go in reverse to get it out of 4wd. so to a new ?

What would be making my front end to wonder. goes strait and all of a sudden it will wonder. any idea?

will get some pick up soon. it looks awsome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What would be making my front end to wonder. goes strait and all of a sudden it will wonder. any idea?

Was that happening before the lift? Before the alignment? Is it on flat roads, or after you hit a bump? It could be a common ailment called "bumpsteer", meaning when you hit a bump, the Jeep takes off to one side or the other. I'm not the one to give details on why, but it has something to do with front end parts like drag links, tie rods, etc. Somebody else here can explain it much better than I can. If it wasn't there before the lift, then something has been done wrong on installation. If it wasn't there after the lift, but only after the alignment, then the alignment dudes messed something up. Bottom line is, it shouldn't happen.

Back