Headlight Advice.

Saurian

If the mood strikes you to change out the headlights in your standard XJ, I offer this advice...

Spray every screw liberally with PB blaster or something first... See, as I found out, the headlight area likes to accumulate mud, and lots of it, which in turn leads to rust, which in turn leads to the screws breaking into tiny bits when you attack them with a screwdriver, which in turn leads you going to Birmingham Chrysler Jeep and getting new headlight hardware because your old sealed beams are fused forever in the original hardware... And that, my friends, will set you back a pretty penny...

So again, before attacking those screws, spray them with some kind of creeping/penetrating oil, because the heads will strip and dissolve like butter otherwise with minimal force, the torx head adjusters as well...

You have been warned.

:evil:

That's excellent. Good to know since I am just about to change them out. I didn't see too much rust in there, but I don't want to take any chances. Are the headlights all sealed systems? Not just need to switch out a better bulb? I was looking at putting in a pair of the halogen headlights. Any suggestions on brand? one better than the other?

Thanks for the advice though.

I believe on all xj's they are. I put silver stars in the wife's 99 xj, man!, What a difference! Drove in front of her the other day thought she had her brights on!

Last edited:
I believe on all xj's they are. I put silver stars in the wife's 99 xj, man!, What a difference! Drove in front of her the other day thought she had her brights on!
X2!

The Sylvania Silver Star bulbs made a huge difference on my 2000 XJ. I'd like to put a set on the YJ as the ones on there are pretty dim.

X# for Silver Stars. They are on my '96 XJ and my wife hates it when i drive behind her. They make a world of difference in night time driving.

Back