XJ Power Windows

jay79cj7

Apparently there is a common problem with 97+ XJs having the power window controllers on the passenger doors stop working. I thought it was just lucky me and had been dealing with it for a while because it wasn't worth trying to track down the problem. No big deal, just annoying that your passengers have to ask you to roll down the windows, as if the window lock was on.

When looking for something else the other day I ran across a thread on another forum and apparently this is common and easily fixed. All that is likely wrong is a bad window lock and you can splice two wires in the door harness together to bypass the switch. The service manual says that the module is not serviceable, but that is not exactly true. I actually went to Radio Shack and found a switch that would fit (with some persuasion) and replaced the broken one. The module comes apart if you remove a couple screws, pop a couple snaps, and pop off the buttons on the top. Not as bad as it sounds. Taking the door trim off to get to the harness/module was pretty easy too.

I just thought it might be worth a mention to anybody else out there that this has been annoying!
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=93806

I have the same problem and tried to get to the pc board in the controller switch.
I did not have the best of luck and could not get the thing apart. Actually I wound up breaking it even more and causing my side mirror control to stop working all together.

What is the trick to getting it apart? It seems like you need to pop the switches off but they did not seem to want to budge.

I might need to just break down and spend the $144 for a new control pad as I think I have broken it beyond repair.
Should have done the jumper wire and been done with it.

john

Last edited:
I luckily have not had that problem, but it was for a real simple reason. It's a '96 SE with manula windows. Wish i could have had the potential to have that problem.

The true cause of the problem is a spot in the pc board in the control switch pad.

It is unsupported and cracks the trace for the locking switch.
If you are better at disassembly than I am you can just resolder the trace and be on your merry way. If you are like me and make things worse the wire jumper is the best. Or, if you are made of money just buy another switch from the 'stealership'.

Sometimes you can get them on ebay but they go fast and many bids.

john

My switch was broken as well so I had to replace it. It turns out it was actually broken in the "off" position. It would click, but not stay down as it is designed.

To get the unit apart, you don't have to remove the mirror control buttons. Just the door lock and window buttons. The paddle type switches for the locks and windows pop off if pryed up hard enough. The window lock button also pries straight up. With those 6 buttons off, the two halves can come apart. The mirror buttons stay on the top half of the unit.

I have the same prob on my 98 XJ, but only occurs every now and then. Only when I have someone sitting on the passenger side trying to lower the window. Could this not be a reason for a recall? Possibly a safety issue? Probably not, but thought it was worth mentioning.

I tried to pry the switch buttons off but they didn't want to cooperate and
I wound up breaking the pc board more. Stupid thing.

I asked the dealer about a recall and I got the blank look on their face. I think it is similar to the stock fog light switch burning out all the time. I went through 3 of those at $22 each before they figured it out and fixed it. No chance on getting my $66 back because of a EE who doesn't understand feedback.

I bought my 97 new from the dealer and have had many electrical problems over the last 9 years. Did you know you can't just buy a connector as you can with a GM or Ford? You have to buy the whole harness. And they are not cheap either.

john

Back