Electrical Problem

88Pioneer

I have a 88 Cherokee pioneer and it blows the fuse for the tail lights constantly. If I start the engine with the lights on and then turn the engine off the fuse will blow when the engine is turned off or if I start the engine with the lights off the fuse will blow as soon as i start the engine. The brake light do not work at all either I am not sure if that is a related problem or not. I bought the Jeep from a co worker and she has no idea why or how it sarted.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

It sounds like a wire has chaffed and rubbed through somewhere. I havn´t been over every inch of the tail/brake light harness. I usually found the problem in the back by the fuel tank, left side where it exits the frame or under the dash somewhere. A few times behind the taillight assembly, rubbing on the sheet metal.

Another thing to check is the wiring running under the drivers side carpet, every pre 90 XJ I have checked had some kind of chaffing there, in the wiring for the courtesy lights and some other accessories. A common fuse blower.

Trying to chase down a short without an ohm meter or battery powered tester, is almost a lost cause. Anyway you do it it usually requires alot of patientance. Sometimes you get lucky and can see the open wire or where it has been rubbing. But mostly it is isolating (unplugging two connectors) and testing to ground until you´ve narrowed it down to the problem spot.[addsig]

Well I fixed the brake light issue. I found a broken wire under the dash but that did not fix the tail light prob. I still need help with that one.[addsig]

Back