Gear box brace??

wstall77

A frind of mine told me to install a brace for my steering box. Helps from messing up the unibody, is this a must?? At what point do you need to install this? I don't mind overkill but if it's false info then i'm not gonna do it. Has anyone done this?? Thanks,wes

I have one in my XJ. the XJ frame rails are kinda weak I heard, and alot of stress is put on on the steering box it when moving around big tires. Its a 50 dollar item that isn't a bad idea. Helps keep the steering box mount from moving around and possibly cracking the frame. I'd say get it.

Thanks man for the input. I met a guy today who's got a '98 and he did the same, but he made his own!!! Looks like it would be pretty easy. Said he only spent 15 bucks on materials! He said one of his friends tore the steering box right off the frame/unibody running 35'' tires. One way or another i guess this is next on my never ending to do list!;) thanks!!!

Form the mods listed in your signature it looks like you have 31" tires. I wouldn't worry about it unless you go bigger than that.

If you want to strengthen the unibody get a DrawTite receiver hitch (made specifically for the front of an XJ) for the front, it'll give you a towpoint and add alot of stability to the front unibody frame.

Form the mods listed in your signature it looks like you have 31" tires. I wouldn't worry about it unless you go bigger than that.

If you want to strengthen the unibody get a DrawTite receiver hitch (made specifically for the front of an XJ) for the front, it'll give you a towpoint and add alot of stability to the front unibody frame.

thanks for reminding me of that. I need to get one for both reasons.8)

Thanks TC. I already have a reciever welded to the bumper but I would like to do something to beef up the front end. I'm not planning on going any bigger with the tires, I just let the lockers do the talkin!!!! I'll prob just make something myself. At least now i know what direction i need to go!!8) 8) Thanks:)

You may want a steering brace if you're locked in the front, a locker adds a lot of stress to the steering as it is fighting the wheels attempt to go straight. Otherwise I wouldn't worry about it with 31" tires.

Brace as in the C 4x4 brace or one of the braces that encircles the box and has a rod that mounts to the opposite side? The C 4x4 deal would offer more protection, however the latter are said to help stiffen the steering.

Back