blown XJ is offline Senior Member

front axle question

i have yet another axle question. i see all kinds of ads from currie and other axles companeys that make dana 44's that will bolt into the front of tj's i have heard that the front suspension on TJ's and XJ's is identical. is this true? if so would i be able to buy an axle for a tj and bolt it into my 89 jeep xj?? i believe buying a new axle preassemble and the right width would be cheaper then buying a full width 44 and having it narrowed and haveing all the mounts welding on..

ps thanks for all the help on this forum i am new at 4 wheeling i know more then alot 18 years olds do but i dont kno enough and im eager to get more knowledge thanks again

Jeepr is offline Senior Member

Re: front axle question

yes, TJ and XJ front axles are interchangeable. Some of the XJ axles are high pinion, which give a little better driveshaft angle on a lifted vehicle. I wouldn't bother swapping a D30 for a D44. I don't think you really gain enough strength to justify the money. They will both withstand 33" tires, and both are marginal on 35s".

Bounty__Hunter is offline Moderator

The D30 is a decent axle for a lot of moderate wheelin, even better with chromoly axleshafts. The XJ axle has the advantage over the TJ axle in that the XJ is high pinion. Upgrade your shafts to Chromoly with 760 ujoints and you should be fine for moderate wheelin.

rescue xj is offline Junior Member

Many XJs have front D-44s, the majority being in Chile and other countries in south america. If you are inclined to look, one can be had for a relatively low price.
    White 96 XJ Sport
    Jeepforum Minister of Sarcasim
    4L HO Command track Dana 30 front Chrysler 8.25 rear CarQuest XD shocks, Federal Signal emergency stuff, MCX 1000 DES-XL, TK-940, Astro Spectra W3 encrypted, Magnaflow 18" body, Medical supplies, MREs, Gatoraid, Shovel, MagLite, body armor, grappling hook, annoying squeeking sound from my door, otherwise stock for now.
    White Jeep Club Member #911
    Code 3 Jeep Club Member #1
    Eagle Scout Jeep Club Member #2

Quote Originally Posted by tx50cj3a
    Vatozone.