brian38849 is offline Junior Member

inline 6 souds like a diesel

my 96 cherokee has started making a knocking noise on the bottom end has anybody else had this problem.:?

Bounty__Hunter is offline Moderator

Re: inline 6 souds like a diesel

No, but it could be a busted piston skirt. Last one I heard rattled like a diesel.

it rattles worse some days than others

wstall77 is offline Member

I have a friend with a 90 xj that makes the same type of noise, but it only does it in park!! We were told it could be the flywheel or the tc. We haven't got around to checking it out yet but I'll keep you posted if we find anything!(sounds like an old chevrolet diesel)!!!!!
    96xj 3" rustys lift w/ t-case spacer,2" spacers/shackles, 31x11.5x15 TSL LTB's, Lockright lockers, Custom bumpers,sliders and skids, Pioneer sound system, Hi-Lift jack,2nd gear start

Bounty__Hunter is offline Moderator

A bad harmonic balancer will cause a nasty knock or rattle when the rubber is shot or broke.

Utah_jeepster is offline Moderator

First off its time to do a compression test, this will tell you if loosing a piston, rings, or a cylinder. Be happy if your find one low but still with-in 20 PSI this is not too bad on an older motor.
    Before you break out the old .45 to put her out of her misery, go ahead and drop the oil pan and check the torque on the crank bolts, also you can also check each cylinder and piston from here with a cut off section of a broom stick. Check to see if the piston moves around the cylinder bore like a loose hockey puck in the corner at a Stanley cup play off game. This will either mean your wrist pin is gone or your crank arm is worn, either or, then its time to break out the old .45 pistol.
    Shake and pull on every thing your oily fingers will allow you.
    Slip a .001-.003 feeler gage into your bearing journals looking for a spun bearing.
    All of this will tell you if its your bottom end, and its cheap to replace the oil pan gasket if its not down there.

All spinning parts should be checks for loose or missing bolts, Pull your serpentine belt and check the water pump, alternator, and power steering pumps for bad bearings.

Last is you didn't say if you had a 5 spd or automatic. if you have a manual transmission I was look into seeing if its in there. Pilot bushing,throw-out bearing?

this is the best way to find a noise without me hearing it

blatant jokessubliminal sarcasmsexual innuendo

It's an automatic plus its seeping oil from around the pan so i will pull it off and check all the bolts like you were saying

Chapes1010 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by brian38849 View Post
    my 96 cherokee has started making a knocking noise on the bottom end has anybody else had this problem.:?
    i have the same problem and some days it is worse than others.
    Matt Chapin

|_______
    [l_|__\___\,___
    l--___--_[=lllllll=]
    ()_)' ' ()_)---o-)_)

1989 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 liter 4inch custom lift, welded rear end, 32's for now.

Future Plans, 36" Swamper SX's, Ford 9" Rear end Spool, Ford High Pinion Dana 44 Front Powertrax Lockright, 4.88 gears, 8 - 10 inches of lift, SYE kit, Good enough for a winter project