'93 XJ Brake Master Cylinder

Saurian

So, through process of elimination, and observation, not to mention the input of a good buddy who knows more than I about this sort of thing, I have a failing master cylinder on my friend's Jeep... Pedal gets partially down, then gets squishy to the floor, fluid is leaking between master and brake booster, component is 15 years old, etc...

I'm planning to have Madison Muffler repair it, while I normally would do it myself, number one, I don't have the time, and number two, my hands are pretty much incapable of wrenching at the moment, don't know what I did to them, but it's not good... My question is, how difficult is this to replace... My only concerns are the brake lines breaking off when loosened, and having to bleed all the air out of the system... Normally, I'd be up for it, but I don't think I can do it, but if I get a "it's a 5 minute job", might just grin and bear it...

Anyway, just looking for thoughts/insights.

It's about a 20minute job, breaking the brake lines loose from the master cylinder and replacing the master cylinder. Then you have to bleed the brakes completely.

Might also be best to bench bleed the master cylinder before installing, but I haven't messed with one in a long time so somebody else may know better.

I agree with Bounty, I would make sure to soak the flare nuts with penetrating oil and use a flare nut wrench.

Ended up having it done, my hand was too swollen up to even grab a wrench, and it would have taken a couple days to get the part... Wasn't too bad, Madison Muffler did me well.

Thanks for the insight, if mine ever goes, I know it's a job that I can do. :)

Back