Cherokee starting or fuel problem

Steve Frost

I have a 89 cherkoee 4.0 six cyln. automatic. The problem I am having is a recurring and intermitent starting problem. it starts, runs for just a second and then stops. It will do this a few to a dozen times before it will start. It also occasionally does it (just shuts off) going down the road. I have had the crank sensor replaced, and the wiring harness modified as per the tech bullitin. But the problem persists. The hardest part about diagnosis is that often when I take it in, it won'y do it. there's no real pattern to when it does it (hot cold etc.) and I would really like to get this fixed. anyone who has had this problem and managed to fix it please email me

------------------
Steve

Could it be your fuel pump? On my CJ, it was very easy to replace, and only cost $15, you might try it.

Terry

Steve,

I had this problem with my 89 4.0 and the crank sensor definitely fixed it. I would be sure that this has been done properly. Also, next time it happens, try unplugging it and plugging it back in. Then see if it starts. With mine, this would often allow it to fire up and run fine for a few days. Then it would happen again!

Hope this helps,

Garrett[addsig]

Back