fuel deliver issues

blown XJ

so my jeep will start and idle just fine but it wont drive it feels and sounds like it is straved for feul. i put i new fuel filter in and checked the fuel pressure it is at 32 with the vacumn line hooked up and 40 with it unhooked the hanyes book says this is ideal. also sometimes when i turn the key i dont hear the pump come on and other times i do.. could this be a fuel pump dying on me or is it a wiring prodlem?? any help would be great i cant afford to take it to a shop unless i have to.. college tution and books is due in a month there goes on my money.:(

I had a similar problem and there was a hole in the rubber fuel line inside the tank, between the pump and the top of the fuel pump assembly. It would idle but wouldn't pump enough to move the jeep, and wouldn't leak outside the tank.

I had the same problem with my friends blazer. The "pulsator" the little thing that looks like a minature brake fluid resovior had a bad seal and it was allowing puel pressure to read high enough at idle, but not at any high rpms. found out when we took out the tank and the fuel pump was cocked a bit and allowed it to beat up on the seal and caused an internal tank leak. one way you can check without dropping the tank is to block the return line and check the pressure. only do this for a short second. cause the pump to burn up or other problems...

Back