90 XJ running hot

Sly8795

My xj doesn't over heat it just runs really hot say around 260. This is when Im standing still or going less than 35 mph. Over that speed it seems to be fine. I bout a new temperature switch for the guage to make sure thats not the problem and also drained the system and added new 50/50 mix as well as a thermostat.

I have two questions one. I just filled it on flat ground do I need to worry about air in the system.

Also I got a 160 degree thremostat because Im going wheeling this weekend for the first time and dont want it to overheat on the trail. Ive read a few places that this engine likes to be at 210 is this going to be a problem?

Any suggestions. I'm bringing wire and a switch in case i need to try and hook up the auxilary fan if she starts running hot. Its the 4.0l engine as well.

I plan on doing that today I have one more run through to fill it with enough antifreeze, i have a new temp switch to install.

Will jacking the back end up in the air be sufficient to have the motor pointed enough to then take of the temp switch and let the air flow out?

Yeah ramps would work very well. You really don't need to much of an incline, just enough to get the air moving. Gravity will take care of the rest...

Ok just wanted to follow up. I drove the truck around today to make sure I had enough fluid in let it cool down. Then I just jacked up the rear and put it on some jack stands took out the temp switch and fluid came pouring out. Can i now safely say there is no air in the system?

Back