is mileage memory stored in gauge cluster or vehicle ecu ??????

rokes

I was thinking of getting another gauge cluster for my 98 GC , mainly because it's in Kilometers and I want it in miles because I was planning on getting some glow gauges for it , but they come in miles and I'm not sure if the gears itself in the cluster are calibrated to KM making it inaccurate anyway if i get gauges that read miles instead . my main question , is if the mileage is stored on the cluster itself or the ecu ??? i saw a couple on ebay and some other places , but one of them said that the mileage is stored on the vehicle's ecu so no matter what cluster you put on , the mileage will be the same .

mainly asking to confirm if this is true or not .

Its actually stored in the the BCM(Body Control Module) , The PCM a.k.a ECU keeps a backup memory of the mileage in case the BCM fails. from the info. i've gathered you can install another cluster without having to program it. since this jeep is equipped with airbags i strongly suggest that you disconnect the negative battery cable and wait at least 15mins. before you dig in the cluster for safety reasons. as for the application of U.S. or Metric settings, a dealer can change that with the DRBIII computer. all they have to do is go to the electro/mech cluster in the menu and change it to what you want.

so i could just take it in and they can adjust it even if i don't get a mile gauge cluster instead of my km one ??? cause it does show miles , it's just in smaller orange colored numbers . i'm just trying to figure out , if i get a set of glow gauges that show miles , will be affected by the fact that the needle is calibrated to show km instead of miles , so say 60 mph is like 90km , if i put the mph gauges on there , will it read 90mph now when i'm actually going 60mph instead of adjusting itself to read back down to 60 mph ??? hahaha sorry if i'm confusing you a bit , it's kinda hard to explain but i'm trying my best :lol:

My Slanted eyes are spinning. lol. Yes, if the dealer re-programs the cluster to U.S. instead of Metric, you would have to follow the corresponding Speed for that Setting. and if later on you decide you want to install the Overlay on the cluster, just make sure its aligned properly.

Back