brain swap question

malton

the answer's probly already in here somewhere, but my pc's decided to turn jeep on me...

93 xj country still not starting. got some help from a jeep mechanic (works for usps) who figured out the thing's flooding. (feeling kinda idiotic actually...gas is all over the plugs & in oil, disabled the fuel pump & shot a bunch of ether in the throttle body and the sucker fired right up for a sec). his theory is the computer's a bit confused and overloading the fuel system. wanna test with a brain from a willing friend's 95 but don't want to fry anything...can i get away with this? how many years' leeway do i have as far as finding a replacement?

and if the brain's fine...what else could possibly cause this condition?

further: it's butt-cold here; been removing the battery and putting it in a warm place...every time i've hooked it back up and then checked codes to see if anything pops up after trying to crank i get a code 12 (voltage to pcm disconnected)...thought codes were supposed to clear once the battery was disconnected; this code's cleared right out before, so why would it be hanging around now? perhaps to do with what i mentioned earlier?

(bangs head against wall)

Last edited:

code 12 is most likely an active code and thats why a battery disconnect is not clearing it from your PCM.check the connections to the pcm and monitor it for the code 12 and see if it goes away.

doesn't code 12 mean no run signal? this is normal and is just a test of the obd system. do you mean that all six plugs are wet with fuel? if the plugs are fuel fouled, the fuel shorts the spark around the insulator tip to ground and the plug will never spark unless you take it out and cook it with a torch! maybe better to just replace them, once you've found the cause of excess fuel. good luck, john

Back