this is bad indeed.

malton

been trying to get my xj running on me own, to save labor costs (unemployed, must scrimp). but after running one week out of every four or five since august, i gave up in frustration yesterday and sent it to the only mechanic in this area that i trust. it's still doing the same thing: run a bit, die (neither engine temp nor speed are factors), refuse to crank for a day or so...also is running extremely rich. so i gave him a written record of everything i'd done to it. he sez:

"i have no idea what to tell you; you've replaced everything that would cause your jeep to do this."

FOOK.

funny thing is, another customer of his brought in a 97 with the same issue. same day. perhaps it's an unknown virus...

Out of curiosity, what things have you replaced? What things have you run diagnostics on? Alternator? Battery?

Malton - what year is your Jeep (you may want to fill in this http://www.jeepz.com/forum/profile.php?do=extra so that people can tell in the future).

sheesh, musta forgotten to click "save" or something. got a 93 xj country, 4.0

replaced the following:

FUEL
pump/strainer/filter/pressure regulator/injectors (also had to clean the tank and blow out the lines)

FIRE
plugs/cap/coil/rotor/wires

SENSORS
throttle/idle/crank/coolant temp

ELECTRICAL
alternator/battery/ASD relay

OTHER
air filter/thermostat

CHECKED:
map sensor/O2 sensors/fuel pump relay and ballast resistor/all fuses

WAITING IN THE WINGS:
pcm i picked up secondhand at a parts yard (aftermarket from an XJ w/similar mileage, i'm assuming it's good)

jeep's got a little over 225k, a lot of what i mentioned above was coincidental breakage, some of what i mentioned above was brought on by my own stupidity...lessons learned. i'm thinking after talking to a friend who had the same issue a couple years ago...my jeep's pcm is original, and just might be the culprit...thoughts?

When you say "refuse to crank for a day or so", do you literally mean there is no power being applied to the starter? It is not cranking over? No clicking? Just "dead"?

I know this sounds crazy...Have you had you battery load checked? On a computer-controlled vehicle if the battery starts to go south- lose a cell or whatever- it can wreak havoc on a PCM. Makes 'em do all kinds of crazy stuff.

no no no no. sorry--lacked some clarity. turns over, but won't start. battery's fine.

then again...old battery got killed by the alternator when it crapped out, and the one i have is the SECOND replacement--first one was defective. is it possible then that something in the pcm got a bit cooked?

no no no no. sorry--lacked some clarity. turns over, but won't start. battery's fine.

then again...old battery got killed by the alternator when it crapped out, and the one i have is the SECOND replacement--first one was defective. is it possible then that something in the pcm got a bit cooked?

It's possible.. A spike in the electrical system causes havoc in any computer controlled vehicle. Edited:Go back to the Basics. Check for fuel and Spark to see which direction you need to go to diagnose and isolate the problem.

Last edited:

Code 12 would be a Map sensor code. Code 55 is just a completion code for the DTC display.

Well, code 12 means "no distributor pulse" and 55 means "ECM fault"...

Hope that gives you some direction :)

Code 11-nocrank reference signal at PCM
Code 53-internal PCM failure
Code 54 -no Cam sync signal at pcm

Update: On a 94 Jeep XJ 4.0 Service manual, Code 12 is a Battery Disconnect.(Direct Battery Input to PCM was Disconnected within the last 50 key-on cycles.

Last edited:

Code 11-nocrank reference signal at PCM
Code 53-internal PCM failure
Code 54 -no Cam sync signal at pcm

Update: On a 94 Jeep XJ 4.0 Service manual, Code 12 is a Battery Disconnect.(Direct Battery Input to PCM was Disconnected within the last 50 key-on cycles.
Heh. Well thats what I get for looking at generic DTC's instead of specific by year huh? :)

Back