heater core

GreenMonstah97

ok so...i started leaking coolant onto my passenger side carpet this morning, so my insticts were right..heater core is gone. i know that the replacement of this part is involved and i read that in order to do this you need to remove the dash panel and pelum box which requires you to remove the steering wheel, and steering column and then evac and recharge the the refrigerant system as well as drain the coolant. is this really that involved or does anyone have any other suggestions. i need to get this done asap and im not loaded full of money to have someone do it, so i would like to do this on my own. im not incapable of doing this job just would like some step by step so i know what im in for and i can get any tools i may need. i have all weekend to do it so im assuming 3 days should be enough time lol. <fingers crossed>

Removal
Disconnect battery. This must be done to prevent accidental airbag deployment.
Using on A/C recovery unit, remove all R-134a refrigerant from the A/C system. Refer to Service Manual Procedures for A/C system evacuation and charge.
Remove the shift knob by pulling sharply upward.
Place the transfer case in low range. Pry the shift indicator bezel out of the console using a trim stick.
Apply the parking brake and place the transfer case in neutral. Remove the parking brake trim insert. Remove the console attaching screws. Lift the console up and disconnect the 4WD indicator lamp harness. Remove the console.
Remove the passenger side knee blocker. Remove the single end screw. Remove the screws below the glove box. Remove the screw at the courtesy lamp. Remove the ash receiver and the screws behind it. Remove the instrument panel armature screw behind the ash receiver. Open the glove box and remove the screws behind it. Lower the panel and disconnect the lamp harnesses.
Remove the pod switch bezels on both sides of the steering column with a trim stick.
Remove the drive side knee blocker. Remove the end screw and screws located at the bottom of the knee blocker.
Remove the cowl top trim panel by prying it up with a trim stick. Remove the solar sensor if equipped.
Remove the "A" post trim panels.
Remove the remove the bolts that attach the lower instrument panel reinforcement to the instrument panel armature and remove the reinforcement.
Disconnect the park lamp switch.
Pull back the carpet at the transmission tunnel from the base of the instrument panel center bezel. Remove the nuts from the upper studs and bolts through the floor that secure the instrument panel center bracket.
Remove the bolts that secure the instrument panel center bracket to the drivers side of the transmission tunnel.
Remove the screws securing the Vehicle Information Center and remove it. Remove the screw fastening the mounting bracket.
Unplug the vacuum harness connector or vent tube on ATC equipped vehicles and the wire harness located under the passenger side of the instrument panel.
Remove the screws holding the passenger side kick panel, along with the screw from the kick panel shroud.
Unplug the antenna cable near the right cowl side panel.
Unplug the instrument panel wire harness connectors from the junction block at the right cowl side panel.
Remove the bolts that secure the instrument panel armature to the windshield fence.
Remove the nuts that secure the top if the instrument panel armature to the windshield fence.
Remove the bolts that secure the ends of the instrument panel to the cowl side panels.
Remove the nuts that secure the steering column to the brake pedal support and lower the steering column.
Remove the bolts that secure the instrument panel armature to the brake pedal support.
Place a protective cover on the seats. Lift the instrument panel off the windshield fence studs and maneuver the instrument panel out and lower it onto the seats.
Disconnect the refrigerant lines from the evaporator tubes. Make sure to install plugs or tape the ends of the lines and fittings to ensure that excessive amounts of moisture do not contaminate the A/C system.
Remove the vacuum line at the tee from the main vacuum supply harness. This line runs through the body with the upper refrigerant line.
Disconnect the heater hoses from the heater core and clamp the ends closed to prevent coolant loss.
Remove the coolant overflow bottle.
Remove the Powertrain Control Module with connectors intact and set aside.
Remove the heater A/C housing mounting nuts from the studs on the engine compartment side of the dash.
Remove the heater A/C housing from the vehicle.
To install the components, reverse the procedure stated above.
Torque Specifications: (Torque)
Instrument panel center bracket to floor transmission tunnel fastener 28 Nm (250 in. Lbs.)
Instrument panel to windshield fence bolts and nuts 12 Nm (105 in. Lbs.)
Instrument panel to cowl side inner panel bolts 12 Nm (105 in. Lbs.)
Instrument panel to steering column support bolts 12 Nm (105 in. Lbs.)

Back