TSP ? 1998 Cherokee

wyntyrose

My husband bought me a 1998 Cherokee yesterday it is a 4.0 litter. Well within one hour of having it, had just finished licensing it, the check engine light went on. I had the oil, air filter and a new battery put in last night and had the codes read at AZ today. I was told we need a new throttle positioning sensor, ordered said part and now have a few questions. Is the TPS adjustable in this model I am hearing yes and no and how hard is it to change. I was told it was two screws and a wire all the way to we need to drill and check voltage.
Also called a repair shop and was told it was about 300 for them to do the work.
The Jeep is riding rough with moments of high rpm's and not wanting to shift out of 1st. I am feeling that this car may be a lemon but have fingers crossed it isn't. I wanted this style Jeep for years.

The TPS are easy to replace however, you will need a Torx bit or Torx screwdriver to remove the screws.i dont remember if its a t-20 or t-25. Autozone should have the size you need. just show them the TPS screws your talking about.. pay close attention to the orientation of the TPS to the Throttle body shaft..i've attached 2 pics for reference on its location. here's the procedure on Removal and Installation...
REMOVAL

1. Disconnect TPS electrical connector.
  2. Remove TPS mounting screws ,Remove TPS.
INSTALLATION

The throttle shaft end of the throttle body slides into a socket in the TPS ..The TPS must be installed so that it can be rotated a few degrees. (If the sensor will not rotate, install the sensor with the throttle shaft on the other side of the socket tangs) The TPS will be under slight tension when rotated.
  1. Install TPS and retaining screws.
  2. Tighten screws to 7 N·m (60 in. lbs.) torque.
  3. Connect TPS electrical connector to TPS.
  4. Manually operate throttle (by hand) to check for any TPS binding before starting engine.
8)

Attachments

• TPS screws 4.0.bmp
    286.7 KB · Views: 2,233
  • TPS 4.0.bmp
    171.7 KB · Views: 10,417
Back