Valve Springs 2.5L 1998 Cherokee

98Chero

I bought a 1998 2 door cherokee several years ago, it came with a problem tho. one of the ex springs was weak and my mechanic showed me. he replaced the spring and it has been running good so/so for years. Now its acting up again, similar to when I bought it. Is there a problem with the valve springs in the 2.5L engines or is this just a isolatated incodent. I would like to know your opinion before I replace 1 valve spring or have the whole head refurbished.

Mike

Neither have I..If this is something you dont want to keep dealing with down the road, then get the whole Head assy. checked over.. Valve guides, seats ,Keepers ,Rocker arm, pivot assy., Bridge and push rods.

Update
Before I started looking into the valve springs, I decided to do a tune-up, while looking over the engine area I discovered that there was a crack in the vacum hose leading to the fuel pressure regulator. so I repaired the vacum hose and then things started heading downhill Fast! long story short...the increased vacum on the fuel pressure regulator diaphram caused the old diaphram to break, this caused the intake manifold to fill with gas ! It took some time to pin-point the problem but once I replaced the FPR and drained the gas out of the oil pan and removed the gas in the cylinders by using a dummy spark plug with a hose added to the end of it so the extra gas would come out...outside the engine compartment (ya had a engine compartment fire on day one) put new oil and oil filter in it and Zoom Zoom she back on the road !

Mike

Back