Whirring/Whining sound

B192734

Hey ladies and gents. Long time no talk. Hope everyone is doing fine.

Here's my question:

2000 XJ. There is a whirring/whining sound that comes from my front end sometimes. Not always, but a pretty good percentage of the time. It gets faster/slower sounding as the speed goes up and down. Not a screech like metal on metal I don't think, but like something rubbing. Sounds like it's coming from the driver side wheel, but can't 100% confirm. It used to do it every once in a while, but now is getting mmore and more often, and now is louder than it used to be. Anyone every have something like this happen to them, or have a good idea of what it could be?

Is the jeep pulling to either side at all? What about when you brake hard? If something is rubbing heat will be generated, so take a 5-10 minute drive at highway speeds and get out to feel if the hub has warmed up any. If you have the time and a driveway you can jack the front end off the ground and try to spin the tires by hand to see if there's any resistance. My guess would be bearing. Only two things I can think of that would rub would be brakes or bearing and you'd notice a pretty good pull if it was the brakes.

I agree with Wrangler 93, although i woudn't touch the hub or the brake area to check for heat.. Burning sucks.

Disclaimer: So that no one burns themselves and tries to sue me. Put your hand near the area first to feel for heat and then if YOU deem it safe to touch it's all on you. The brakes WILL be hot so be careful.

I had the brakes replaced not too long ago. I think that they may be glazed or something, because it's really hard to get them to lock up. Really have to stand on it. Even tonight with wet roads, really had to lay into them to lock up (just testing of course...). I was at one point worried that a differential was going out, because it seemed to be working a lot harder than it should and wouldn't hold it's speed coasting. Mechanic looked and said that nothing was wrong. Also said that nothing is wrong with the brakes, but I am about to have a second opinion on that, because I am positive something IS wrong. The whirring sound has been around for about 2 1/2 years. SLOWLY getting worse. At first it was only at slow speeds, but sometimes now it's at any speed and louder.

I will try and hit the brakes and see if there's pull, but I don't think that there is. Alignment was also done pretty recently, and that didn't change anything with the noise, although it now drove straight...Replaced my sway arm bushings as well. None of those things changed it in the slightest. My only other necessary change I think is my steering box. Too much play in it, but I wouldn't think that would make any difference either.

I DO recall though smelling something like really hot "something" after driving. Really noticed it after having been using 4high quite a bit during that huge snow storm we had here. Still, mechanic says nothing wrong with the diff's.

Last edited:
A note about the Wheel bearings, it will change the noise frequency on turns. If you have a hard brake pedal, you might want to check your brake booster for leaks. A hard pedal is usually caused by a leaking brake booster or vacuum supply to the booster. could the noise be in the power steering? Low on fluid or has a leak? check the Fluid level and see if the fluid is aerated after running it for 2 mins.. Rotate the tires, see if the noise is coming from the tires. Inspect it for abnormal wear like feathering and scalloping on the edges, this will cause some noise as well.

it's really hard to get them to lock up. Really have to stand on it. Even tonight with wet roads, really had to lay into them to lock up (just testing of course...).

Does your Cherokee have anti lock brakes? That would prevent you from being able to lock up the brakes, like you used to with older cars.

As to your whirring noise, what type of tires do you have on your Jeep? Are they stock, or larger, offroad / mud style tires?

I don't THINK that it has antilock brakes on it. I don't recall ever seeing an ABS light on the dash...I'll double check. I don't think that anti lock were standard on it, but an option. Not really sure. The brake pedal isn't really "hard". It feels normal, just seems to need more pressure to come to a stop. Where would I look to check out the brake booster? Never looked for that before. Fluids seem normal, haven't ever had a problem with that. Tires were rotated about 4 months ago, and are 31" Pro Comp AT's. I actually noticed the sound for the first time before I got the new tires and before lifting it. I'll take a look at the power steering, but I haven't noticed anything. Only a little play in the steering, because I think the box is a little loose.

So I checked, and it does not pull when braking. Other than normal veer off when on a slanted road, it seems to head pretty straight. Also even when just rolling down the street, it seems pretty straight.

Back