Have any upgrade tips for my '89 cherokee?

Bimmerto4x4

I have an '89 cherokee 4 door 2wd that I want to make into my toy. I blew the head gasket on the last engine, so now Im putting in a '90(?) L6 engine to replace it. So I thought this is the best time to upgrade everything else. I've always worked on BMW's, so the 4x4 world is something Im just now getting excited about. Serious hard ons. I want it lifted, swapped to 4wd, higher clearance on my bumpers, snorkel, highler clearance on my quarters, THE WORKS. If you have any tips on all of this, how-to and prices and where to buy, all help would be appreciated.

Check out our Vendors forum, they have a lot of accessories and modifications for your vehicle.

The '90 4.0L is the same as the '89, but they made significant changes in '91 when it became the High Output motor. The head is much better, as is the computer and injection system. Consider the '99+ intake manifold and a 62mm throttle body if you don't mind adapting to the newer style throttle body.

4wd conversions are common, it's easiest to pick up a 4wd donor vehicle. Beater 4wd XJ's can sometimes be found for under $500, then you have everything you need. Watch the transfer case model, they can be found with the 242 or 231.

Back