Need help with engine swap with 96 cherokee

solomotorsports

I have a 95 grand cherokee 4.0L auto 4X4 drive train. I want to put it in my 96 cherokee sport 4.0L auto 4X4. I know the trans and transfer case are different. What i am wondering is if the plugs are the same that go to the trans. I do not have the new drivetrain at my house yet so i can not look.I would appreciate any help.

No, they will be different, they are two different transmissions. Why use the Grand parts? They're generally more problematic than similar XJ parts.

I can get a free drivetrain out of a grand. My drivetrain has 317,000 miles on it and the trans went out. I know they are different. I would like to know if the trans and transfercase would plug in or what i would have to do to get it to work

The '95 is OBDI and the '96 is OBDII, so there is the possibility for more problems there.

XJ transmissions (AW4) are a dime a dozen, I had trouble selling mine because they rarely fail. Let mine go for $100. To me it'd be worth spending a few hundred dollars to know it'll bolt right in.

Sounds high depending on where you get it. Decent price for a junkyard, high if buying from an individual. $100-$200 is more accurate.

Back