Really Leaky Diff.

B192734

Hey ladies and gents. So this has been going on for a while here. Last fall, after doing some good wheeling and coming back home, I looked and realized that my rear diff looks like it's leaking really bad. I took it in for a tune up because I had to go through emission testing, and had them change fluids and all sorts of stuff. I took a cloth and wiped the outside, to kind of see what the leaking looked like. quickly after that, it was back. I have never seen any drips, but it looks like it's forcing liquid out somwhere. I'm a little worried that it may causae damage if it keeps happening, but I really don't know much about differentials. I was told that there may be a clogged breather tube on it, but didn't see one, not knowing what I was looking for. Any thoughts about what I should look for or anything?

The vent tube should either be on the top of the differential housing or on the top section of the axle tubes where the rear brake line T is being held by the vent tube itself. there should be a rubber hose that is routed upwards and has a vent tube valve at the end of it. Make sure this hose is not kinked and the vent valve is not plugged up. There are 2 places on the differential where it's most likely to leak, pinion seal or diff. cover gasket.

Back