Cherokee Brake Conversion from 10" to 11" rear bra

AEP

I have a 1988 Jeep Cherokee with a Dana 35 axle. The rear brakes a joke. I want to convert the rear 10"x2" brake assembly to 11"x2". Some of the older Dodge mid-sized cars had 11"x2" brakes. I know ther must be a backing plate with the same bolt pattern that will bolt right up. I'm not interested in disc brake conversion. If any one has any idea's I would like to hear them. The last time I replaced the rear brakes I used some old Grey-Rock copper woven lining that I had and relined the shoes myself. This helped alot. The bad side is I only have 1 set of linning left. It's time to correct this problem and I think 11" brakes will solve the problem.

Respectfully Sumitted,

Andy

Emu5@msn.com[addsig]

i'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that its not worth it. rear brakes (in comparison) aren't nearly as important as front brakes. if you need more stopping power, there are a bunch different things i would do before upgrading the rear brake DRUMS:

-bleed brakes

-change rear brake shoes if they're worn (with new ones)

-replace front rotors and pads with performance ones

-check alignment (toe in, camber ,etc...)

-nate[addsig]

I typically wore out two sets of fronts to one set of rears. And there arn´t any speed limits around here. One thing you might look at, is the front brakes from a limited, I don´t know for sure, if it´s just in the export model or not, but they were some beefier.

I had pretty good luck with Raybestos, semi-meatalic, riveted. Though the semi metalic did have tendancy to wear the drums a little.

I don´t know how much time you spend in the water, but a little sand in there, will wear out the brakes quick. I pulled the drums, dumped out the crud and hosed off the brakes and backing plates, after most every mud hole.[addsig]

I'm with Dingus, changing from 10" to 11" is not going to make a hill of beans difference in your stopping power. I would spend the time, effort, and money on another upgrade. [addsig]

Back