Transmission problems

devilduck

I have a 98 grand cherokee loredo 4x2 4.0, the transmission is going out it slips after 25mph unable to go over if it does it slips out of gear. I cant find a 4x2 4.0 transmission anywhere I was thinking to get a master rebuild kit and do it myself, anyone done this? is it worth it trying to do myself?

Yes auto 42RE once i hit 25mph it just slips and starts high rev, sometimes catches back about 22mph sometimes gotta go back to like 10mph

I'm thinking that the issue is in the hydraulic or electrical rather than the mechanical portion of the trans. No ses lamp?, have you performed a flush?, it's possible that the torque converter is not allowing enough line pressure through the trans. governor pressure sensor to complete a shift. In this case, a trans. pressure gauge tester will be handy to test each shift ports for their respective line pressures. If it does have an active DTC, scan the PCM/TCM. This will give you a direction for the diagnostics.

First thing I would do is change the fluid and filter. If the filter is significantly clogged it could cause all kinds of problems. This is very cheap and will need to be done anyway if the transmission has to be rebuilt.

I dunno what DTC, PCM/TCM are but i will talk to my uncle's shop and see. i will change filter and fluid. I heard the 42re 2wd is a crappy trans is there any interchangable ones?

Back