Noob question of all noob questions, how do I shift gears?

mmurek

I have been the proud owner of a 2001 Cherokee Sport for about 24 hours now. I didn't get an owners manual with it and can't find a down loadable one anywhere. If anyone knows where I could find one let me know, I have already purchased a paper copy online waiting for delivery. To my question, I assume that shifting from 2WH to 4WH is shift on the fly, but what is the procedure to shift to 4WL? A 2004 Grand Cherokee manual recommends driving 2-4 MPH, shifting to neutral and then to low, is this correct? Thanks for any help.

Mitch

Shift the trans. to neutral and then shift the t-case to 4Low @ 2-4 like yo u've gathered. If you time it just right, by shifting the trans. to neutral, quickly shift the t-case to 4low while the gear cluster is still moving to complete the shift. This works too but it takes a little practice without grinding the gears.

you should always come to a complete stop put gear shifter in neutral engage 4 low put back in gear and go shift on fly is only for 4 hi at 10 15 mph moving and shifting into 4 low can cause major transfer case damage and is not recommended

take it from a certified jeep mechanic
we wouldn't steer you wrong ,seen to many busted chains and gears in many cases in my day :beer:

Thanks for the imfo! The manual says you can shift into 4H at up to 55 MPH, from your post I assume that is incorrect from your experience? Just want to be sure I understand you correctly. Thanks again!

Mitch

Back