HELP - 1996 Cherokee Sport

rdm7938

Hi all... this is my first post on the forum and I'm hoping for some help/reassurance.

I have a 1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport that was given to me by my Grandmother and therefore I have all maintenance records and know that it was a one owner vehicle (it is a manly shade of teal).

I have been told that Jeeps last forever, but I have had nothing but problems. It started out as a engine/power "LULL" when I was driving where it would just kind of cut out before it would kick back in (highway, local streets, etc.). But, now it won't even start

Previously (during the "Lull" period) I took it to a mechanic and replaced the following:

$300 = New heater control valve, hoses, clamps, etc.
$1100 = New head gasket, radiator, belts, thermostat, coolant flush, oil change, etc.

Any suggestions on what it may be? Fuel pump? Could it be anything else?

I'd rather not pump a whole lot more money into it, but I'm going back to school and don't need a car payment either. Thanks!

when you try to start it does it try to turn over? or does it just not do anything?

Absolutely nothing... the battery is live because the key reminder is buzzing, but the engine doesn't even try to turn over.

Absolutely nothing... the battery is live because the key reminder is buzzing, but the engine doesn't even try to turn over.
Just because the key minder is buzzing doesn't mean that the battery isn't bad specially if the engine won't even turn over. Check the battery connections and when in doubt, take the battery to a parts house that will check it for you for free. Start the process of elimination from the basics before you move on to the more indepth technical issues.

What about the previous lull in power... would that be the fuel pump beginning to go bad?
Yes it's possible, however it could also be a flatspot on the TPS or like 54cj3b suggested a CPS(loose or corroded connection). You can check the fuel pressure at the fuel rail test port with a test gauge and see if its within specs at idle and while doing a WOT(wide open throttle). When was the last time the fuel filter has been replaced?, could be as simple as that but you need to do some test to get a sense of directon in isolating this concern.

Back