97 Cherokee intermittent starting problem

miketphoto

Greetings,
I am new to the forum and not very car knowledgable. Sometimes when I try and start my cherokee there is no response it is just dead but if I put it in neutral it will crank right up. The neutral trick used to work everytime but now it may take several tries to get it to start. The battery seems to be fine, the cables have been cleaned well, I have replaced the ingnition coil and the cps. Any suggestions. I was told by a friend that if it will crank in neutral that it is a faulty "shift interupt switch" but I have not been able to find out any info on whether my cherokee has one or not. Any help greatly appreciated.

Mike

It is probably the neutral safety switch, the switch that keeps you from accidentally trying to start the vehicle in a drive gear. From what I understand it is on top of the transmission, and a real PITA to get to.

I had this problem on my 96, and bypassed mine at the wiring harness using info I found googling around. I don't remember off the top of my head which wires in which harness you have to jump. Maybe someone here has more knowledge about it, or you could google it.

X2 with Isaac. Yes you have it on your Cherokee.
800a84e7-1.gif

REMOVAL

1. Raise vehicle.
  2. Disconnect switch wire harness connector.
  3. Pry washer lock tabs upward and remove switch attaching nut and tabbed washer
  4. Remove switch adjusting bolt
  5. Slide switch off manual valve shaft.
INSTALLATION

1. Disconnect shift linkage rod from shift lever on left side of transmission.
  2. Rotate manual shift lever all the way rearward. Then rotate lever forward two detent positions to Neutral.
  3. Install switch on manual valve shaft and install switch adjusting bolt finger tight. Do not tighten bolt at this time.
  4. Install tabbed washer on manual valve shaft and install switch attaching nut. Tighten nut to 6.9 N·m (61 in. lbs.) torque but do not bend washer lock tabs over nut at this time.
  5. Verify that transmission is in Neutral.
  6. Rotate switch to align neutral standard line with vertical groove on manual valve shaft
  7. Align switch standard line with groove or flat on manual valve shaft.
  8. Tighten switch adjusting bolt to 13 N·m (9 ft. lbs.) torque.
  9. Bend at least two washer lock tabs over switch attaching nut to secure it.
  10. Connect shift linkage rod to shift lever on left side of case.
  11. Connect switch wires to harness and lower vehicle.
  12. Check switch operation. Engine should start in Park and Neutral only.

Back