4wd vacuum line?

superspud87

well my 87 jeep wagon is actin up again. for some reason my 4wd isnt workin. i went mudding wednesday and my lever said i was in 4hi but it didnt work. needless to say i got stuck, BUT i added to jeep pride by WAAAY outdoing a ford explorer that was in 4wd.

anywhoo, once we got my jeep out (3hrs later) i crawled under my jeep and i was checking out the plug on the back of the t-case and i pulled it off and it was broken on the inside. there were 4 tubes and they were all broken. also, i turned my 4wd on again and my air vents came on. so obviously the plug is the problem and my question is, where can i find a new plug thats cheaper than 130 buck? cuz thats how much autozone wants for it and thats rediculous.

any help is appreciated

Junkyard. Or cap the vacuum line from the engine and engage the front axle disconnect manually. You can rig up a cable to operate the disconnect, or remove the disconnect and install it upside down to hold the shift collar in the locked position.

jp did a cheap trick on it some issues ago, drill the fork that slides the collar over the axle, and put in a bolt the middle with a nut on each side....so the collar dosn't slide off.. takes bout a half hour and ya might need to top off your geat lube too..

Last edited:

im probably either going for the junkyard or autozone, the only problem is the fact that i dont know what transfer case i have. i have the 5spd manual transmission with a dana 44 in the rear and i believe a 30 upfront.

also, to get a new part from the junkyard if i decide to go that way, i have no clue where to cut the vacuum lines (if i need to cut them at all) so i can match it up on my jeep.

any ideas?

well i figured out the transfer case issues and know i have another problem.

to begin, my jeep was overheating within 10 min of it turning on so we checked the thermostat and there wasnt one. so we checked the water pump and it turns out it was bad so we replaced it and now its still overheating and i popped the hood and my coolant reservoir was filled with a muddy colored water and its still overheating. there is no coolant and it was strictly water so i dont have a clue as to why it is still overheating. any suggestions?

how would i unclog it? i know that i can do it if i pull it out but is it possible to unclog it if it is still attatched??

Back