Grand Cherokee doesn't spark

cowboy1381

Howdy fellows I am new to the world of Jeeps Always wanted one and finally got my chance when a guy offered me a real good deal on a 97 grand cherokee 4.0 cause it wouldn't start. I got it home and it started right up, I drove it around the block and it ran great. But when i shut it down it would not restart. I tested it and found it had no spark. I replaced the coil and the crank positioning sensor, still no spark. Distributor next? or does anybody have any suggestions? Thanks in Advance :)

1. Remove distributor cap from distributor (two screws) Rotate (crank) the engine until the distributor rotor is pointed to approximately the 11 o'clock position. The movable pulse ring should now be within the sensor pickup.
  2. Turn ignition key to ON position. Voltmeter should read approximately 5.0 volts.
  3. If voltage is not present, check the voltmeter leads for a good connection.
  4. If voltage is still not present, check for voltage at the supply wire. For wire identification, Refer to Wiring Diagrams.
  5. If 5 volts is not present at supply wire, check for voltage at PCM 32-way connector (cavity A-17) Refer to Wiring for location of connector/terminal. Leave the PCM connector connected for this test.
  6. If voltage is still not present, perform vehicle test using the DRB scan tool.
  7. If voltage is present at cavity A-17, but not at the supply wire:
  8. Check continuity between the supply wire. This is checked between the distributor connector and cavity A-17 at the PCM. If continuity is not present, repair the harness as necessary.
  9. Check for continuity between the camshaft position sensor output wire and cavity A-18 at the PCM. If continuity is not present, repair the harness as necessary.
  10. Check for continuity between the ground circuit wire at the distributor connector and ground. If continuity is not present, repair the harness as necessary.
  11. While observing the voltmeter, crank the engine with ignition switch. The voltmeter needle should fluctuate between 0 and 5 volts while the engine is cranking. This verifies that the camshaft position sensor in the distributor is operating properly and a sync pulse signal is being generated.
If sync pulse signal is not present, replacement of the camshaft position sensor is necessary
zj702099-1.gif

Back