2004 grand cherokee front driveshaft removal

lqdtrance

How do I remove the front drive shaft? I am familiar with my YJ but my wifes grand cherokee I am not familiar with. I removed the six bolts at the transfer case but I cannot get this damn thing to move. Do I have to take off the boots and remove it there?

The driveshaft flange has a centering hub. You will need to compress the shaft while pulling it out. The easiest way is to have the axle uncompressed on the suspension to gain the extra clearance. Do this by placing jackstands on the unibody frame rails .

I have the shaft disconnected from the front axle right now. do I need to reconnect to do this? I just need to replace the damn u-joint. Cant get it off the drive shaft. I need to remove the drive shaft so I can hammer out the u-joint. Unless some one knows an easier way?

Last edited:
Oh, my bad, i thought you had the CV type flange.. You just have to pry a little bit on the u-joint and the axle flange and it should come off.

Yeah, I got it. I just had to give a few love taps. Now I know and knowing is half the battle :shades:. Thanks for the help!!

Back