Jeep Cherokee Fuel Pump

Skinned

Hi,
i own a 4.0 High Output jeep Cherokee, its was imported into th Uk from california a few years back. Anyway I have a bit of a problem and hoping someone can help, the car has been set up with an LPG fuel system, unfortunately someone has messed around with the electrics as with a lot of LPG conversions they diable the petrol pump to stop it running while the LPG is on.
So now it wont run on petrol as the pump has been disconnected. So basically what i want to do more for emergencies when I run low on LPG is wire the fuel pump onto its own independent electrical supply with an inline fuse and cut off switch. Does anyone know if its a 12v pump and is it continiously powered?
Any help and advice is much appreciated.
I've ahd the Jeep about 4 months now and can quite honestly say its brilliant, never let me down once, although I will need to replace the start motor shortly.

The power goes through a relay, which was probably pulled to cut the fuel off. Did they mess with the CDI system? Or does it still have the CHerokee dist (a common swap for LPG is a Chev 6 cyl HEI dist with AMC V8 dist gear)

Thanks Carnuck,
the CDI system looks original. At some point someone has wired a seperate starter switch in which lets you start the jeep while in Drive. The odd thing is that this kicks the petrol pump into action, if you keep your finger on the switch it keeps the pump running but also the starter motor (Hence why I now have to replace the starter).
Ideally I need to work from scratch as there has been some wiring done at some point that makes no sense whatsoever.
Would it be possible if I got a spare relay to wire in a seperate loom purely for the fuel pump, so its fused, relayed and cut off switch?

Sounds like what I would do. The computer also does a bypass to kick the pump for 3 seconds while cranking. I think I would use a pushbutton to operate the starter separately

Back