Blower just stopped working

jlawhitmire

I have a 97 GC and the blower just stopped working. I figured it was the blower motor so I purchased a new one. Once I got it installed nothing happened. I tried everything for about an hour. I then hooked it up to the battery and it worked fine. So I know the motor works. I plugged it back in and it worked. Yesterday about a minute into my freezing drive home it stopped again. I have no fan at any speed, but I do hear the doors opening when I switch zones and heat comes thru but no blower to blow it. I check for a relay and couldn't find one and I checked the fuse by the engine and the one by the passanger door they are both good. What could be doing this? I the motor wired to my lighter so I don't freeze. please help me

Alot depends on what heating system you have. If it's like mine it's thermostaticaly controlled, there's a temp setting and two controls, one for fan speed and the other controls the air flow. If this is what you have you should get an error code. The haynes manual tells how to bring them up. If the code thing is no help, check if you can vary the voltage with the fan control. A cheep multimeter will do the job. I'd think the problem is with the speed controller. If not that Haynes manual also has wiring diagrams that are pretty good. Last but not least check everything electric for something else to be giving up along with your fan. Good luck.

Locate the resistor block on the HVAC housing. Check for battery voltage on one of the terminals and the rest should be a resistive circuit. If there's no voltage to the resistor block, check the connector in the back of the A/C and heater control head for voltage.

Back