Cherokee with Dana 44?

PlasticNerd

I'm a Cj/Tj guy, but my son wants a Cherokee. We are wanting to get him a good starting point and wonder which year Cherokee came with a Dana 44 rear axle, 4.0 6 cyl. and an auto trans.. We heard it may be 1987-1990, but not sure. Were they only avail. with the towing option, or did ALL Cherokee models in those years come with them? Thanks !!8)

Around '87-'89 had the d44 rear axle option, but I would highly recommend the '96-'99 with the 8.25 rear axle. It was available in the tow package, also has a rear receiver and transmission cooler.

Most 87 XJ's with towing package had the Dana 44. I have an 88 XJ with towing package but had a Dana 35 which was junk from the factory. It now has the Dana 44.

if you can get ahold of a wagoneer like mine. the only difference that i have found betweena wagoneer and a cherokee ( correct me if im wrong anyone) is the Dana 44 rear axle. i have an 87 and the wagoneers are known for having the Dana 44 in the rear.

buy whatever year you want i have a 44 for sale right now in the for sale section you can slap right in lol

91 to 01 had ether dana 35 or the chrystler 8.25 which had less internal parts to get messed up,! Hence better rear end.

Did all 88 XJ's have the Dana 35 from the factory or was it just certain models (i.e. Pioneer, Laredo, base, etc)?

Some 88's with the tow package and transmission cooler came with a Dana 44. But mine didn't. But 87's came with the dana 44 with the towing package. Probably because the 88's were the last year for AMC production. My 88 now has a dana 44 rear differential out of a 87.

91 to 01 had ether dana 35 or the chrystler 8.25 which had less internal parts to get messed up,! Hence better rear end.

What internals does it not have? They are both c-clip and the 96 and earlier versions have smaller shafts than a 35 but the housing is stronger.

D35 has an oval cover.
41tfjVycJ4L_SL500_AA300_-1.jpg

8.25 http://stores.hi-potek.com/catalog/P4130063(2).jpg (this one has a drain plug addded)

Your ZJ doesn't have an 8.25, wasn't an option. You either have a D35 or D44a, not to be confused with a D44. Some have an aluminum center section, c-clipped axles and almost no aftermarket support.

Back