Locker Questions

DL13

Hi, Has any one installed a Auburn Ected Locker in a 98 GC 5.9 Limited for the front? Is there any modifications I need to do? Would I need to do any thing to the pinion? :???:
I just got my locker today and I'm not to sure if I jump in at the deep end as I never don any thing with a diff before. I don't want to mess any thing up so any help will be appreciated.
Thanks

you need a dial indicator and base, at a minimum, to set backlash and endplay

Sent from my MB200 using Tapatalk

sorry for not expanding. i have never put a locker in but if it requires pulling the gears and changing any shims, see above post

Sent from my MB200 using Tapatalk

I would say if you've never done it before, leave it to someone else. It isn't that bad if you understand what you're doing, but if it were me, I would hate to have a NEW broken/damaged locker a little ways down the road.

I don't have the money to let some one else do it.

Got a buddy? I never have messed internally with diffs. (yet). I don't think it is that technical, but there are things you DO need to know to do. Here's a page I found for an Aussie locker, just so you get a brief on what to look for. Aussie Locker - Dana 30 Front Axle Installation Write-Up It don't seem too scarry, but to me, that's a lot of your money down the drain if it goes bad. Better to have a buddy to point fingers at I guess! Good luck! Later, Brad

Thanks Brad I'll have a look at it. It's the dial indicator I never used one before that's what I'm more concerned about than any thing else.
Thank for the info.

Dial indicators are cake. It's basically a "needle" or "feeler" attached to a gauge. The gauge attaches to the base. Imagine a clock poining to 12 o'clock. When you apply the point of the indicator to a surface, it is a fixed point. As you turn part, the needle can either read toward 11-o'clock, or towards 1 o'clock. This either "negative" or "postive" movement of the indicator tells you basically weather the part is closer to the gauge, or further away. On a round object, turning on a center, it will tell you if the part it off-center of the axis. Once you see one, it's use is pretty obvious. Later

Back