88' XJ SOA conversion

Well i'm thinking about doing the SOA(Springs Over Axle) conversion on my XJ tomorrow, since it came from the factory with the leafs under my rear axle, I figure I can get maybe 2 inches of lift by doing this. I know it can increase axle wrap but i'll probably be purchasing a bolt on kit to solve that problem. My question is will my stock rear shocks still work after switching my leafs from the bottom to the top or will I need to purchase longer aftermarket shocks?

I'd walk outside and look at the axle again. Maybe lay down so you don't have look at it upside down.
I put a full length add a leaf into my rear spring pack and added a couple of 3/4 inch spacers under my front springs.
I still use stock shocks with about an 1 1/2 of lift. Fit 30 X 9.50 tires in there easily.

XJ's are supposed to be SOA already man? Mine were under my axle, is it possible one of the previous owners was trying to lower it? Maybe since it's only 2 wheel drive. I'd take a picture to show yall but i'm already in the process of switching them to the top, if they're supposed to be SOA from the factory then I shouldn't have to worry about my shock length, hopefully lol

i answered some of your thoughts in my lift thread but i think your right, someone was making a lowrider or street racer with your jeep. 2x4 6 cylinders are super hot rods. it will definitely look great at 2 or 3 inches of lift though.

Ya that's probably exactely what it was man. But who in their right mind would actually LOWER a Jeep?!:shock: lol I got it done today though, looks good and my shocks still work fine, probably because they're the stock shocks meant for the SOA. Anyway, thanks for the help you guys, much appreciated. I'll definitely be purchasing a good lift kit in the future but for now she looks alot better at the height Jeep intended lol and i'll post a new pic asap.

Back